Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Whether, whether, whether, whether, whether you like it or not....

....Weather, weather, weather, weather, weather is cold, warm, and hot.
Pardon the Veggie Tales reference. I found it appropriate.
Utah, I hereby declare that you have been denied the right to refer to predictable groups of months as "seasons." Utah seasons are from here on out labeled on a day-by-day basis.
Exhibit A: Monday, March 5th, 2012. After a week of coldness, it was spring. Like, legitimately, it felt like spring. Spring just has a certain quality of air, and a certain group of smells, and they were all there. One smell that I recently discovered as one that I associate with spring is that of soil (not dirt; apparently, there is a difference). I really like the smell of soil. But anyway, it was a beautiful day.
Exhibit B: Tuesday, the following day, was blanketed with an icy cloud cover. That night, Brie, Elisabeth, and I got caught in a snowstorm.
Exhibit C: Though Wednesday was ok. I noticed on Thursday that we were sort of back to spring. The sun was a little too hot, and the wind was a little too cold. It was like the mean was still spring, but the variance was greater than it was Monday. I also found myself with the somewhat strange desire to get sunburned, a desire that, at this point, I'm pretty sure I can't accomplish, as I have become so white that I now reflect all of the Sun's rays that approach my general direction, and then some.
Exhibit D: Summer has officially hit BYU Campus. Seriously. Yesterday was one of those terribly delightful days that act as enzymes in the development of Senioritis. Anyone who has graduated from anything in the spring/early summer knows what I'm talking about. Which has not been good for the school work. Elisabeth, Brie, and I went on a walk in the glorious sun yesterday and ended up being out for two hours, despite the crazy catch-up I had to do for German and the fact that I had to go to work. Let's just say it was a long night, but totally worth it. Because you never know when it's going to switch back to, say, Exhibit B.
I would also like to say that it is duck dating season again. Every spring, the little ducks get twitterpated, and you can see them out on campus in pairs, going to dinners, participating in flashmobs, painting ceramics.... ok, maybe not, but I really do find it kind of funny when I see a male and a female duck out together on campus, as if the people couples weren't enough to remind us that we're supposed to be dating...
Also, speaking of twitterpating, I had the delightful experience today of observing a scene that made me feel like I was an extra in a movie, particularly a chick flick. Here's the screenplay for the segment I saw:

Two girls walking through the BYU Bookstore, chatting. The topic isn't super important. Perhaps Girl 1 is mentioning her plans of going on a mission, as she doesn't have any dating prospects, or perhaps she is wistfully discussing her roommate's wedding plans as she intimates her desires to one day make those plans for herself.
Enter Guy 1, a young male, walking the opposite direction. Girl 1 sees him, recognizes him.
GIRL 1: (Guy 1)!
He quickly responds, turning swiftly, gracefully, strongly, and they lock eyes. Girl 2 doesn't notice that Girl 1 has stopped and is entranced in the eyes of Guy 1 and continues walking forward.
GIRL 1: I haven't seen you in a while!
GUY 1: I know, I actually just got off my mission yesterday.
Conversation continues, eyes still locked. Girl 2 realizes that Girl 1 is no longer beside her, and turns. She sees the ensuing conversation, both participants oblivious to the world, and perhaps is a little jealous or bitter, maybe as a result of Girl 1's constantly successful dating life. Only further plot development will show.

I left this scene going "They're getting married." Perhaps that is unfair of me, and simply a result of the stereotype that we inflict upon ourselves as members of the BYU culture. This is most likely the case. But I really felt, for those few seconds, that I had stepped into a movie, probably based on a Jack Weyland book, and it was beautiful. Kind of like this summer weather: magically perfect, and with a sense of being wholly unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment