Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentines Day

I've had this post in mind for a while, but I haven't gotten around to posting it, due to my busy-ness at some times and laziness at others. I've just now persuaded myself that I'm not going to be productive even if I'm not blogging. Oh well.
OK, so I recently discovered something really interesting: I love Valentines Day. I feel like this is not common in chronically single women like myself, and even in some women who aren't chronically single. I think Valentines Day is probably the single most hated holiday ever. Also easily one of the most awkward holidays ever (at least one of the most awkward widely-celebrated holidays. I'm sure someone somewhere has something more awkward).
I've been thinking about this recently as I've started to get into the holiday spirit by writing Valentines and Valentine-like cards. This is really the reason why I love Valentines Day: No other holiday has the quite the same ability to bring out the creative and the ridiculous in me. Perhaps because my celebration, along with the celebration of all those around me, is completely exaggerated and absurd. Gotta love hyperbole.
This year, the festivities have begun with a card sent to my roommate, Elisabeth, which I made at our FHE macaroni-art-making activity (kudos to Brie for sticking around long enough to actually glue the macaroni on). Basically, it was a purple piece of paper bearing glue-crusted macaroni and the phrase "You drive me noodles!" on the front. I also recently sent a card with some (clean) Biology-related pick up lines, such as "You flood my system with dopamine," "You are the membrane that holds my organelles together," and, my personal favorite, "You are the cytosine to my guanine (not the thymine to my adenine, because not even RNA coding could replace you with uracil)." I'm not sure I have come up with anything to quite beat last year's masterpieces, including the pride of my life, the card that I sent to Brie, which said such lovely lines as "Your love is like Stevia: it's 300 times sweeter than sugar, plus it has no carbs!" and "Your love is like Spanish-mode Buzz: it's awesome, plus it's Spanish!" (side note: neither of us are Spanish at all. Another side note: This card was made 10 times more awesome by the fact that this particular line was illustrated with a just about perfect free-drawn Buzz Lightyear head, which has given me hope in my artistic abilities.) Brie, Erin, Zobe, and I also made Valentines for a few of our guy friends, and though I only remember that Noah's had a badger holding apple beer, Zobe took a picture of our card for James, which said "Your love is like an earthworm: No matter how many ways you cut it, it still lives on!" and was illustrated with a picture of a smiling earthworm, cut in two and spewing blood. We thought it was appropriate.
So, who knows what lovely literary delights this year holds? I know I can't wait to spend my time and energy crafting these ridiculous, cheesy, and cheery messages of appreciation. Because, though I garner joy from the creative process and the self-esteem boost that comes with me thinking that I'm hilarious, the bottom line is that I make these because I care about the people that I give them to, and this is my favorite way to show them that I do.
Happy Valentines Day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment