Reality is all perception, and I know that I'm mostly perceiving Facebook when I have access to a computer. Where does reality end, and Facebook start? And which one even matters any more? I still think that, for most if not all people, the real world is more important, but I also think that perhaps the line is blurring a little too much for my taste. Then again, since when has my personal taste dictated what is socially acceptable?
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Reality is the new Facebook
Today, I would like to comment on how Facebook has taken over reality. Just now, after explaining to Brianna that the link to Eli's podcast was posted on her Facebook wall (or "Timeline," as these whippersnappers have started calling it these days) and grabbing a drink of water, Brie looked over to Elisabeth and stated "I don't think we're friends." Elisabeth, perhaps a little hurt but mostly confused, said "...I'm sorry to hear that?" It took a minute to register that Brie meant 'friends on Facebook.' Ohhhhhhh..... We all had a hearty laugh when this was discovered, but let's think about this for a minute. Not even ten years ago, Brie's comment could have started real drama. But, nowadays, if someone says that we're not friends, clearly they mean Facebook, because talking about reality is so last decade. Facebook is the new reality. I'm not ragging on anyone for living this way; let's be honest, who hasn't said the phrase "it's not official until it's Facebook official". Mostly this is said in jest, but still. I know that there are people that I'm only friends with on Facebook and not really in real life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment